Thursday, January 12, 2012

On Trying New Things

So when I signed the papers to take on the Executive Director position, I had a teeny tiny nagging feeling that I'd probably find myself doing some things that I had never really done before.  Well, today, that tiny nagging feeling is now a punch-me-in-the-face reality.

As the title of this blog suggests, I am comfortable being behind the scenes.  My idea of getting wild is to make small-talk to people when I'm in line at Starbucks. I know what you're thinking. You can't just talk to strangers like that, but sometimes I just do it, man.  I'm crazy like that.

So tonight I found myself doing something I never thought I would ever do as long as I live.

Dancing.

Choreographed dancing.

To country music.

And if that's not crazy enough, in a few short months, I will be performing said dance, and several others in front of hundreds of people on a well-lit stage, while some other lucky introvert takes my beloved hiding spot behind the sound desk.

That's right, as of tonight, there's a new skating rink in hell, folks.

So a brief synopsis of how it went. First off, I get partnered with a nice young lady, who is likely half my age, half my size and quick on her feet.  We're paired up like a moose and a cat.  Fear starts to creep in as the choreographer gives a breakdown of the first 8 steps and I'm already lost on step 2 which literally consisted of tipping my "hat" for a 4 count, and then hooking my thumbs in my "belt loops".  We're not even dancing yet and I've already forgotten step one. The cat, on the other hand, only needs to be shown once and off she goes, each step and turn perfectly executed. Great. Fantastic. I'm back in Kindergarten and all the other kids already know how to tie their shoes.

Somehow I manage to stumble and trip my way through the routine like a stiff out-of-sync robot until we get to the end where there's this weird jumpy thing.  Hop once to the right on your left leg, twice to the left on your right leg and then reverse, rinse, repeat.  It's at this point as I'm hopping randomly about in a display worthy of failblog.org that I realize: I'm that guy.  You know, The Awkward Guy.  I'm Will Ferrell with a cowbell, but nobody's asking for more cowbell.

Then comes the video. Now, thanks to the wonders of the digital age, you can totally humiliate yourself and then literally seconds later, relive that humiliation from a totally new point of view.  It's great.  Just in case you weren't sure if anyone could tell that you feel like a cow on rollerskates, you now can confirm that yes, other people are definitely picking that up.

All in all, I'm glad I'm doing this, though.  I will get better. I will find my inner dancer. I will also lose some weight because the camera only adds 10 pounds, which doesn't account for all that extra McLovin I got going on.



8 comments:

  1. Love this scenery too! This used to be MY blog background. Feels like home here! So inspirational to see people stepping out of their comfort zones!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same background, hey? We must both have good taste. I'll get around to customizing it one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here in Alberta, we love moose! We also apparently love choreographed country dancing, so you should find your feet and your country rhythm in no time flat. I will go out of my way to take in THIS production when the time comes!

    But talking to strangers in Starbucks ... now that truly IS scary.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooooooh oh oh oho.....are you wearing leatards (?) I hope you are. It will give me some measure of healing from all the laughter I recieved when filming the "Going the distance" video. Besides that......well done. Always good to see people stretch themselves!
    I am sure you are doing far better than I would!

    ReplyDelete
  5. so cross one more thing off the Bucket list eh?
    LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you, Partner.
    Dancing is a lot of fun. My wife and I really enjoyed dance classes, from line dancing to swing, swing to the waltz. Plus, we all know what dancing leads to... we had some good times.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know that I am a little behind the times but thanks for the morning chuckle! And small talk in Starbucks is very scary, very.

    ReplyDelete